- The FOMC announced that it will again leave the Federal Funds target rate unchanged at a range of 5.25 – 5.50%. This was a unanimous decision by the Committee and was anticipated by the market. This is now the third consecutive meeting at which the Fed has kept rates unchanged.
- In September, the Fed had communicated a dot plot which suggested some probability of an additional rate hike yet in 2023, so this decision brings the Fed back in line with recent market expectations for the year.
- Looking forward, the Committee’s views on the appropriate path of monetary policy have shifted toward favoring an additional 25 basis point rate cut in 2024, beyond the 50 basis points in cuts that had already been communicated. Despite this, the Fed continues to project higher 2024 rates than market participants. The revised dot plot suggests Fed members now expect the Federal Funds target rate to decline to a median value of 4.6% by the end of 2024.
- This decision to not hike, combined with the updated dot plot, essentially gives the market 50 bps in extra cuts compared with what was previously communicated by the Committee’s September dot plot.
- Market reaction was strongly positive, with the S&P 500 ending the day up 1.37% and the yield on the 10-year US Treasury falling to 4.03%. Markets are now pricing in more than 100 basis points in rate cuts by next September.
- The Fed’s updated Summary of Economic Projections contained very limited revisions to GDP, unemployment, and inflation expectations.
- FOMC members revised 2024 GDP expectations down from 1.5% to 1.4%, while increasing the 2026 expectation from 1.8% to 1.9%. The unemployment rate projection remained at 4.1% for 2024 and 2025, and increased from 4.0% to 4.1% for the 2026 and longer run projections.
- Core and headline PCE inflation expectations were revised down modestly for 2024 and 2025. Core PCE inflation was revised down from 2.6% to 2.4% for 2024 and from 2.3% to 2.2%. There were no changes to the 2026 and longer run inflation expectations.
The FOMC is next scheduled to meet January 30-31, 2024.
The views expressed herein are those of Asset Consulting Group (ACG). They are subject to change at any time. These views do not necessarily reflect the opinions of any other firm. This report was prepared by ACG for you at your request. Although the information presented herein has been obtained from and is based upon sources ACG believes to be reliable, no representation or warranty, express or implied, is made as to the accuracy or
completeness of that information. Accordingly, ACG does not itself endorse or guarantee, and does not itself assume liability whatsoever for, the accuracy or reliability of any third-party data or the financial information contained herein.
Certain information herein constitutes forward-looking statements, which can be identified by the use of terms such as “may”, “will”, “expect”, “anticipate”, “project”, “estimate”, or any variations thereof. As a result of various uncertainties and actual events, including those discussed herein, actual results or performance of a particular investment strategy may differ materially from those reflected or contemplated in such forward-looking statements. As a result, you should not rely on such forward-looking statements in making investment decisions. ACG has no duty to update or amend such forward-looking statements.
The information presented herein is for informational purposes only and is not intended as an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to purchase a security.
Please be aware that there are inherent limitations to all financial models, including Monte Carlo Simulations. Monte Carlo Simulations are a tool used to analyze a range of possible outcomes and assist in making educated asset allocation decisions. Monte Carlo Simulations cannot predict the future or eliminate investment risk. The output of the Monte Carlo Simulation is based on ACG’s capital market assumptions that are derived from proprietary models based upon well-recognized financial principles and reasonable estimates about relevant future market conditions. Capital market assumptions based on other models or different estimates may yield different results. ACG expressly disclaims any responsibility for (i) the accuracy of the simulated probability distributions or the assumptions used in deriving the probability distributions, (ii) any errors or omissions in computing or disseminating the probability distributions and (iii) and any reliance on or uses to which the probability distributions are put.
The projections or other information generated by ACG regarding the likelihood of various investment outcomes are hypothetical in nature, do not reflect actual investment results and are not guarantees of future results. Judgments and approximations are a necessary and integral part of constructing projected returns. Any estimate of what could have been an investment strategy’s performance is likely to differ from what the strategy would actually have yielded had it been in existence during the relevant period. The source and use of data and the arithmetic operations used for calculating projected returns may be incorrect, inappropriate, flawed or otherwise deficient.
Past performance is not indicative of future results. Given the inherent volatility of the securities markets, you should not assume that your investments will experience returns comparable to those shown in the analysis contained in this report. For example, market and economic conditions may change in the future producing materially different results than those shown included in the analysis contained in this report. Any comparison to an index is for comparative purposes only. An investment cannot be made directly into an index. Indices are unmanaged and do not reflect the deduction of advisory fees.
This report is distributed with the understanding that it is not rendering accounting, legal or tax advice. Please consult your legal or tax advisor concerning such matters. No assurance can be given that the investment objectives described herein will be achieved and investment results may vary substantially on a quarterly, annual or other periodic basis. There is no representation or warranty as to the current accuracy of, nor liability for, decisions based on such information.
Gryphon Financial Partners shall not in any way be liable for claims and make no expressed or implied representations or warranties as to their accuracy or completeness or for statements or errors contained in or omissions from them. This was created for informational purposes only. Gryphon Financial Partners, LLC is an Investment Adviser.