- The FOMC voted to raise the Federal Funds target rate to a range of 4.25 – 4.50%. The decision was supported unanimously by the members of the Committee.
- This 50 basis point increase is a downshift from the 75 basis point rate hikes that were implemented following the June through November FOMC meetings.
- The statement signaled the Fed plans to continue raising rates at upcoming meetings as the FOMC seeks to contain inflation. In his press conference remarks, Chairman Powell noted that despite a welcome reduction in inflation data for October and November, “it will take substantially more evidence to give confidence that inflation is on a sustained downward path.”
- The Dot Plot now shows Fed members predicting a median Fed funds rate of 5.1% by the end of 2023, up from 4.6% in the September projection. This change brings the FOMC generally in line with recent market pricing.
- Individual FOMC participant’s expectations for future rate hikes are meaningfully dispersed, particularly into 2024 and 2025. As rates rise, the Committee’s future decisions become more challenging as market conditions become less one-sided.
- Equity markets, which had risen earlier in the day, declined following the Fed’s announcement.
- The Committee’s new Summary of Economic Projections included some notable updates, particularly a reduction in expected 2023 GDP. Compared with the September projection, Committee member’s median 2023 GDP forecast was reduced by more than half, dropping from 1.2% to 0.5%. Expectations for 2024 GDP decreased only a modest 0.1% and there was no change to the 2025 or longer run projections.
- Unemployment projections were increased by 0.2% over previous projections for 2023 through 2025, with unemployment expected to anchor near 4.6% in coming years.
- Committee members expect PCE inflation to fall to the Fed’s 2% target in their longer run projections, with the inflation number dropping to 2.1% by the end of 2025.
The FOMC is next scheduled to meet January 31 – February 1, 2023
The views expressed herein are those of Asset Consulting Group (ACG). They are subject to change at any time. These views do not necessarily reflect the opinions of any other firm. This report was prepared by ACG for you at your request. Although the information presented herein has been obtained from and is based upon sources ACG believes to be reliable, no representation or warranty, express or implied, is made as to the accuracy or
completeness of that information. Accordingly, ACG does not itself endorse or guarantee, and does not itself assume liability whatsoever for, the accuracy or reliability of any third-party data or the financial information contained herein.
Certain information herein constitutes forward-looking statements, which can be identified by the use of terms such as “may”, “will”, “expect”, “anticipate”, “project”, “estimate”, or any variations thereof. As a result of various uncertainties and actual events, including those discussed herein, actual results or performance of a particular investment strategy may differ materially from those reflected or contemplated in such forward-looking statements. As a result, you should not rely on such forward-looking statements in making investment decisions. ACG has no duty to update or amend such forward-looking statements.
The information presented herein is for informational purposes only and is not intended as an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to purchase a security.
Please be aware that there are inherent limitations to all financial models, including Monte Carlo Simulations. Monte Carlo Simulations are a tool used to analyze a range of possible outcomes and assist in making educated asset allocation decisions. Monte Carlo Simulations cannot predict the future or eliminate investment risk. The output of the Monte Carlo Simulation is based on ACG’s capital market assumptions that are derived from proprietary models based upon well-recognized financial principles and reasonable estimates about relevant future market conditions. Capital market assumptions based on other models or different estimates may yield different results. ACG expressly disclaims any responsibility for (i) the accuracy of the simulated probability distributions or the assumptions used in deriving the probability distributions, (ii) any errors or omissions in computing or disseminating the probability distributions and (iii) and any reliance on or uses to which the probability distributions are put.
The projections or other information generated by ACG regarding the likelihood of various investment outcomes are hypothetical in nature, do not reflect actual investment results and are not guarantees of future results. Judgments and approximations are a necessary and integral part of constructing projected returns. Any estimate of what could have been an investment strategy’s performance is likely to differ from what the strategy would actually have yielded had it been in existence during the relevant period. The source and use of data and the arithmetic operations used for calculating projected returns may be incorrect, inappropriate, flawed or otherwise deficient.
Past performance is not indicative of future results. Given the inherent volatility of the securities markets, you should not assume that your investments will experience returns comparable to those shown in the analysis contained in this report. For example, market and economic conditions may change in the future producing materially different results than those shown included in the analysis contained in this report. Any comparison to an index is for comparative purposes only. An investment cannot be made directly into an index. Indices are unmanaged and do not reflect the deduction of advisory fees.
This report is distributed with the understanding that it is not rendering accounting, legal or tax advice. Please consult your legal or tax advisor concerning such matters. No assurance can be given that the investment objectives described herein will be achieved and investment results may vary substantially on a quarterly, annual or other periodic basis. There is no representation or warranty as to the current accuracy of, nor liability for, decisions based on such information.
Gryphon Financial Partners shall not in any way be liable for claims and make no expressed or implied representations or warranties as to their accuracy or completeness or for statements or errors contained in or omissions from them. This was created for informational purposes only. Gryphon Financial Partners, LLC is an Investment Adviser.