- A new rate hiking cycle has begun with today’s decision by the FOMC to increase the federal funds target rate by 25 basis points to a new target range of 0.25% to 0.50%. This outcome was widely expected.
- The decision was not unanimous, as one Committee member, St. Louis Fed President Jim Bullard, voted against the measure. Bullard favored a 50-basis point rate increase.
- In its revised dot plot, the Fed now shows FOMC participants targeting six more rate hikes in 2022, with a median year-end target rate of 1.9%.
- The initial market reaction to the Fed announcement was negative, with rates spiking across the yield curve and the S&P 500 trading down into negative territory, but this was followed by a strong rebound that put the S&P well up for the day and returned the 10-year yield to near its starting point for the day.
- The 5 to 10-year part of the US Treasury yield curve is now flat, with the 7-year yield slightly higher than the 5 and 10-year yields.
Fed Balance Sheet
- The Fed foreshadowed potential future moves to reduce the size of its balance sheet, noting “the Committee expects to begin reducing its holdings of Treasury securities and agency debt and agency mortgage-backed securities at a coming meeting.”
- For now, the Fed will maintain the size of its balance sheet by reinvesting principal payments on existing Treasury and MBS holdings into new assets.
- The Fed reduced its 2022 median GDP projection to 2.8% from the 4.0% value that had been projected in December. Longer-run GDP projections were unchanged.
- Median unemployment expectations are consistent with prior expectations aside from a slight bump up from 3.5% to 3.6% for 2024.
- Inflation expectations saw meaningful upwards revision. The Fed now projects 4.3% PCE inflation in 2022. That compares with a December projection that pegged 2022 PCE at 2.6%. 2023 and 2024 projections saw smaller increases.
The FOMC is next scheduled to meet May 3-4, 2022
The views expressed herein are those of Asset Consulting Group (ACG). They are subject to change at any time. These views do not necessarily reflect the opinions of any other firm.
This report was prepared by ACG for you at your request. Although the information presented herein has been obtained from and is based upon sources ACG believes to be reliable, no representation or warranty, express or implied, is made as to the accuracy or completeness of that information. Accordingly, ACG does not itself endorse or guarantee, and does not itself assume liability whatsoever for, the accuracy or reliability of any third party data or the financial information contained herein.
Certain information herein constitutes forward-looking statements, which can be identified by the use of terms such as “may”, “will”, “expect”, “anticipate”, “project”, “estimate”, or any variations thereof. As a result of various uncertainties and actual events, including those discussed herein, actual results or performance of a particular investment strategy may differ materially from those reflected or contemplated in such forward-looking statements. As a result, you should not rely on such forward-looking statements in making investment decisions. ACG has no duty to update or amend such forward-looking statements.
The information presented herein is for informational purposes only and is not intended as an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to purchase a security.
Please be aware that there are inherent limitations to all financial models, including Monte Carlo Simulations. Monte Carlo Simulations are a tool used to analyze a range of possible outcomes and assist in making educated asset allocation decisions. Monte Carlo Simulations cannot predict the future or eliminate investment risk. The output of the Monte Carlo Simulation is based on ACG’s capital market assumptions that are derived from proprietary models based upon well-recognized financial principles and reasonable estimates about relevant future market conditions. Capital market assumptions based on other models or different estimates may yield different results. ACG expressly disclaims any responsibility for (i) the accuracy of the simulated probability distributions or the assumptions used in deriving the probability distributions, (ii) any errors or omissions in computing or disseminating the probability distributions and (iii) and any reliance on or uses to which the probability distributions are put.
The projections or other information generated by ACG regarding the likelihood of various investment outcomes are hypothetical in nature, do not reflect actual investment results and are not guarantees of future results. Judgments and approximations are a necessary and integral part of constructing projected returns. Any estimate of what could have been an investment strategy’s performance is likely to differ from what the strategy would actually have yielded had it been in existence during the relevant period. The source and use of data and the arithmetic operations used for calculating projected returns may be incorrect, inappropriate, flawed or otherwise deficient.
Past performance is not indicative of future results. Given the inherent volatility of the securities markets, you should not assume that your investments will experience returns comparable to those shown in the analysis contained in this report. For example, market and economic conditions may change in the future producing materially different results than those shown included in the analysis contained in this report. Any comparison to an index is for comparative purposes only. An investment cannot be made directly into an index. Indices are unmanaged and do not reflect the deduction of advisory fees.
This report is distributed with the understanding that it is not rendering accounting, legal or tax advice. Please consult your legal or tax advisor concerning such matters. No assurance can be given that the investment objectives described herein will be achieved and investment results may vary substantially on a quarterly, annual or other periodic basis. There is no representation or warranty as to the current accuracy of, nor liability for, decisions based on such information.
Gryphon Financial Partners shall not in any way be liable for claims and make no expressed or implied representations or warranties as to their accuracy or completeness or for statements or errors contained in or omissions from them. This was created for informational purposes only. Gryphon Financial Partners, LLC is an Investment Adviser.